An IRS Form is commonly used to collect information from freelancers, independent workers, or workers who aren’t employed in a company but have completed work. If you earn more than $600, you must submit a W-9 Form.

Also, when you open a financial account overseas, the financial institution might be required to ask you for your US Social Security Number because of FATCA – and so, you should complete a Form W9 to provide them with your taxpayer ID.

Here’s a sample copy of Form W-9:

w-9 form myexpattaxes

How to complete a W-9 Form?

  1. Request a copy of the W-9 Form from your employer; you can also obtain a copy of the W-9 Form directly from the IRS website.
  2. You must enter your legal name, which should be the same name shown on your tax return or SS card. If you have requested an ITIN, it should be the name from your W-7 that needs to be entered. If you don’t have a business name then you can just skip the Line 2.
  3. Enter the legal structure of your business for Line 3, so the IRS knows where to classify your info for tax purposes.
  4. You’ll also need to input your mailing address for IRS correspondence.
  5. For Part I, you’ll be asked to enter either your Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number (SSN). This would depends on the structure of your business
  6. The certification area or the Part II of the form is where you can sign and date the form making sure that the information that you have provided are all accurate. If you have a backup withholding for failing to report all interest and dividends on your tax return, you’ll need to cross out Item 2.

Was this Article helpful?

Log In to get in touch with our Support Team

Help Center Topics



Tax Center

Resources & Guides

Related Articles

Search FAQs