/ /

Thank you for choosing the Premium Tier on MyExpatTaxes!
There are two steps we'll need to take care of to get you up and running as fast and smooth as possible.

1. Schedule your 30-minute call with a Tax Professional

Premium Tier clients will receive an email with a unique link for scheduling a one-time 30-minute call with one of our tax professionals.
This 30-minute call is optional, and you are welcome to decline.
(Additional calls are possible; however, they may incur additional fees.)

2. Prepare for your Tax Professional Call

For the best experience, we recommend providing as much information as possible for your tax professional to review before the call.
By helping inform your tax professional, your tax filing process will go much faster, and you'll be much closer to being done!

The minimum requirements we need to know:

  • Complete the Filing Requirements so we know the basics, then click 'save', at the bottom right to continue.
  • Continue to answer the questions until you have completed the first two sections: "Introduction" and "You & Your Family." (It won't take long.)
Select your US Tax Forms from the options
Select the types of Income you received in the tax year from the options
  • Finally, don't forget to upload all of your relevant tax documents
    • Please provide any relevant US Tax Forms, Local Tax Returns, prior year US tax returns, etc. (It's okay if you don't have your prior year's US tax returns, but it can be very helpful for our tax professionals.)
    • If you used MyExpatTaxes last year, we already have your previous year's tax return.
    • If you are unsure, you can upload what you have, and we will review it in your 30-minute call to determine what is relevant and needed.

For self-employed clients and those with rental income:

Please do not upload multiple receipts or income and expense spreadsheets.
The Premium Tier Package is only available if your financial records and bookkeeping are up-to-date and organized in a usable manner for your US tax preparation.
Please see our pricing page for more information.

If you need support organizing financial statements (including bank statements), additional fees will apply. We are happy to help calculate total income, major expenses, and foreign taxes paid.
However, you will be responsible for calculating any misc. expenses for business and rental income.

Want a faster turnaround on your US Tax Return?

Looking to get your US taxes done ASAP?
If you complete the entire MyExpatTaxes application, ensuring you enter all your income, you will instantly get your draft return at checkout.

You can then review your draft return and give feedback.
This sets you up for the optimal 30-minute call with one of our tax professionals!
After your scheduled call, we will reach out to you within 24 hours with a draft of your tax return or any outstanding follow-up needs.

Happy Filing! We can't wait to work with you!

Was this Article helpful?

/ /

The main difference between the Premium and Professional Tiers is basically the amount of support you will receive. With Premium, you will receive personal support and our tax professionals will manually enter into the software everything for you after you supply all the required documentation to us.

The Premium Tier also yields more consulting / audit coverage, including a 30-minute conference call to discuss your situation. If this sounds like the support you need and you want a more thorough review than the Base plan, you need to upgrade to this higher support Tier using the "UPGRADE" button at the top right corner of every page when signed into your MyExpatTaxes account.

Was this Article helpful?

/ /

MyExpatTaxes is trusted by thousands of US expats, every year. We have top security standards and it's easy to get started. Plus. we're the tax software that already includes FBAR filing!

Featured in Forbes, Business Insider, and Yahoo! Finance to name a few. MyExpatTaxes is award-winning tax software for everyone.

Was this Article helpful?

/ /

We offer a two-factor accuracy check system. This means that our software looks for errors, and then you get to look at everything for a final check before it is e-filed.

With MyExpatTaxes, you’re in complete control. You can save, go back, edit & update anytime.

When finishing up with MyExpatTaxes, we give you a draft of your return, and you can let us know where edits need to be made. Then our tax team gives a final check before sending it to be e-filed.

Was this Article helpful?

/ /

When you’re a US Citizen or Green Card Holder living abroad, you’re required to file US taxes to the IRS every year if you reach the income filing threshold. However, filing US taxes doesn’t always mean that you have to pay taxes. In most cases, you need to report your information.

How does that happen? When you pay taxes in your adopted country, you probably won’t owe any US taxes because of certain expat tax benefits.

For example, you could use the Foreign Tax credits against your US income. Another option is to use Foreign Earned Income Exclusion to exclude your foreign wages from US taxation. 

However, there are some instances why you would pay US taxes to the IRS:

  • Have US-sourced income, which is over the standard deduction, thus subject to US income tax
  • Have US-sourced income with no federal taxes withheld
  • Do not pay enough foreign income tax on unearned foreign income, which is still subject to US taxation (e.g., capital gains on foreign property sold)
  • You’re subject to self-employment tax, and there’s no Totalization Agreement in the country you’re in.

Was this Article helpful?

/ /

There are a few reasons why you’re due for a refund on your US tax return, even if you’re not living in the US.

  • Unclaimed stimulus checks
  • Additional child tax credit
  • If you have US-sourced income and had federal withholdings
  • If you paid estimated taxes on prior-year filing
  • Premium Tax Credit

Was this Article helpful?

/ /

The negative sign in line 8 shows that we’ve used the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion on your return.

You can find the computation in Schedule 1 of the return, the Other Income Statement (at the end), and Form 2555.

Was this Article helpful?

/ /

Each Form 1116 has a Regular and an Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) version, tied to Form 6251. This AMT tax calculation is always run in the background to avoid taking too many credits or deductions.

As you have both General and Passive income, there are 2 Form 1116s, each with two versions. We always track foreign tax credits, and it is part of the standard tax package.

Was this Article helpful?

/ /

If you have used the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) in your previous year, some instances revoking it for a specific tax year and claiming the Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) would be beneficial. Some of the few instances are:

  • When you want to claim the child tax credit
  • When you want to contribute to IRA
  • When you’re paying your correct taxes, and you’re in a country that has a higher tax rate than the US

Was this Article helpful?

/ /

With Form 2555, you cannot claim the Additional Child Tax Credit refund. However, with Form 1116, you can.

Here at MyExpatTaxes, our expat tax software allows you to claim the tax credit and will help you determine whether you can receive the new fully refundable credit of $3,000-$3,600 on your taxes.

We can also help you start using the Foreign Tax Credit to receive the Child Tax Credit instead of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. Learn more about the Child Tax Credit for American families.

Was this Article helpful?

/ /

You cannot contribute to your IRA if almost all your taxable compensation is excluded via Foreign Earned Income Exclusion/Form 2555. [Remember, Form 2555/FEIE] This form is also not a required expat tax form – you can use either Form 2555 or Form 1116 (as used in your tax package) to offset US taxes.

Instead, it may be more beneficial to claim the FTC (Foreign Tax Credit) since it can bring better results than the FEIE and still allow you to contribute to your IRA as a US citizen abroad.

As an American abroad, when you claim the Foreign Tax Credit, you will declare your net self-employment income or wages as taxable. Both will allow you to open up and contribute to an IRA account in the US. Plus, the Foreign Tax Credit gives a tax reduction in the United States from any tax amount paid to the country you work and/or reside in, so it can still eliminate your US tax liability to $0 as FEIE would generally do.

Saving for retirement as an American abroad by having an IRA helps with financial security for your future. As you are coming into retirement, you know you will have money to live off of due to your efforts in early investing. 

Learn more about IRS contribution limits and retirements topics or about revoking the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

Was this Article helpful?

Log In to get in touch with our Support Team

Help Center Topics



Tax Center

Resources & Guides

LogIn & get in touch

with our Support Team

Search FAQs

US Expat Tax Support
Facebook Group