Great question! Unfortunately our answer won’t be as great… it all boils down to the US tax law:

“If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.” 


This is also true if you’re an Accidental American – someone who has US citizenship and filing obligations without knowing. Therefore if you make over the tax filing threshold, the IRS needs you to file an annual tax return, no matter where you live in the world. Read our expat guide to see what this year’s filing requirements are.

Don’t fear, MyExpatTaxes has your back. We’ll help you file your US tax return while saving you time and money!

Was this Article helpful?

Log In to get in touch with our Support Team

Help Center Topics

Related Articles

Search FAQs